Our local PCSO has sent the following advice
- The Christmas period often sees an increase in burglaries with more valuable items than ever in the home.
- Homeowners are being reminded to close the curtains once it gets dark outside, especially if the lights are on inside.
- Tempting gift-wrapped presents should not be left on show.
- In the evening, houses should look “occupied” with lights on and curtains closed.
- Presents should be removed overnight from vehicles. If possible, they should be kept indoors and out of sight.
- Residents should keep an eye out for any elderly or vulnerable neighbours and encourage them to follow these tips.
- Empty boxes, which could advertise the Christmas goodies inside the house, should not be left outside on view.
- Once Christmas gifts are unwrapped, they can be registered for free on the Immobilise database.
- Immobilise is a free property registration system which allows stolen or lost goods to be identified and returned to the owner.
- Property can be registered at www.immobilise.com